Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Quiet Mind

For the last few years one of the constant themes running through my mind and life has been quietness. I've been trying hard to learn to be quiet, still, and to wait patiently on God. Some days I am actually semi-successful. But lately, I've been getting more and more impatient. "Okay God, quietness, I get it. I'm being still, I'm waiting on You, let's move on."

Yesterday, it finally struck me. While outwardly I've been quiet and still , inwardly my mind never stops. My prayer times have been filled with me talking at God and listing my hurts and frustrations and grievences over and over and over again. Not that I shouldn't be honest with God. After all, He knows and understands my emotions better than I do myself. But if I spend all my time ranting at God and not giving Him a chance to talk back to me then not only am I am never going to get the direction that I desire, but our relationship will never be the true companionship that it is meant to be. Do you like hanging out with people who never shut up and repeat the same things over and over and over again? Do you feel like you have a quality relationship with them? Yeah, me neither.

I tried to put this new aspect into practice yesterday. 10 minutes of quietness before God. Shouldn't be too hard to clear my mind for 10 minutes, right? Wrong! I diecovered just how busy my mind is! I can't stop thinking! My mind goes everywhere - friends, my small group, what I need to remember to pray about when my 10 minutes of quietness is up, what I'm going to write in my blog today, the list goes on and on. I find I have to constantly reign in my thoughts. All these things I can think about later, this is a time for God to talk to me and tell me His thoughts. I really hope quieting your mind is something you can get better at with practice. I really want to hear God when He speaks to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment