Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Heritage

We recently cleaned out our shed due to a rat infestion which I am sure you DON'T want to hear the details of. Buried in the back corner we discovered my dishes. Yes, I have a set of dishes inherited from my grandparents who knows how many years ago. They have been sitting in the shed ever since. I was pretty excited to pull them out because I remember loving them as a kid, but my tastes have changed a bit in the last few years so I was curious what I was going to think of them now.

I LOVE THEM!!! They're pink and have pictures of english castles and countrysides. They are like a little girls fairy tale dishes. Eight place setting, serving dishes, a complete tea service with twelve cups and saucers...here, let me just show you:




Dinner Plate (duh...)

Detail inside bowls



Bonus points to anyone who knows what this dish is for
(I know, but do you?)


I even have egg cups!!!


Bonus: 8 dessert plates and goblets!
Yes, honest to goodness goblets!
Jealous?



Okay, so as you can tell, I'm pretty excited about these dishes. I had fun washing them last night and repacking them this morning. (They are now safely housed in my closet AWAY from the rats.) And hopefully someday soon I'll be able to pull them out and actually put them to use.

I'm thankful for the inheritance my grandparents left me. Not just the dishes. I'm grateful for the way they chose to live their lives and the choices they made. I'm grateful for the wisdom they passed on to my parents. A lot of who I am is because of them and the generations before. It makes me rethink some of the choices I make. How will my children and grandchildren and great grandchildren be affected by my decisions?



No comments:

Post a Comment