Friday, September 14, 2012

Lessons from Frisker

Sometimes inspiration comes when you least expect it. Tonight I was reading to two of my favorite little girls. They had selected a book entitled "Frisker" which goes all the way back to my childhood (yes, they had books when I was little).

Frisker is a puppy who lives in the pound. One day a farmer comes looking for a dog and chooses a dog who looks strong. The next day Frisker tries to look strong so he'll get chosen, but a clown comes looking for playful dog. So the next day Frisker tries to look playful but a policeman comes looking for a fierce dog. And so the story goes. Finally Frisker gives up and says, "No one will ever, ever choose me."

I've read this book hundreds of times in my life and I think this is the first time I've actually gotten the point. How much of my life do I spend trying to be who I think people want me to be? How much energy have I invested in trying to look good and please people? Maybe if I just focus on being who God created me to be I'll be happier and less stressed and maybe I'll find that spot in life where I fit perfectly. Just like Frisker was finally found by the little boy who wanted a dog just like Frisker.

No comments:

Post a Comment