Thursday, September 6, 2012

Look Elsewhere...

My thoughts have been anything but deep today. It's one of those days when it seems like just doing the next thing is an accomplishment. I had big plans for all the cleaning I was going to get done today - bathroom, bookshelves, closets...I managed the fridge and two drawers in my bathroom. So how do you cope with those days that seem pointless and mundane? When you wonder if there really is a purpose to anything? When you feel like you have nothing to look forward to in life?

So don't look to me for inspiration today, but let me point you to a couple others...

"Waiting on the Lord is a confident, disciplined, expectant, active, and sometimes painful clinging to God. Waiting on the Lord is the continual, daily decision to say, 'I will trust You, and I will obey You. Even though the circumstances of my life are not turning out the way I want them to, and may never turn out the way I would choose, I am betting everything on You. I have no plan B.'" - John Ortberg

"Standing still on some occasions is the paramount duty of the follower of Christ. There are times when we must be merely onlookers--when the flesh and the brain refuse to work, hopes shrivel like autumn leaves, and we simply do not know which way to turn. It may be just then that we shall learn for the first time how to stand still in perfect peace and quietness of soul. Not idling away our time, not hopelessly limp and heedless of the outcome--but working on in such ways as may be given to us. Observing with eager joy the way in which God will work it all out to a perfectly glorious ending. All our little fussiness and haste, all our strong anxiety and warping care are as futile as the tugging of a little child's hand at the great iron knob of a closed and barred gate through which his loving father does not to care to have him go just then." - Elisabeth Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment