Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Brick Walls and Chalk Drawings

So what are you doing this fall? What new, exciting things are happening in your life? What are your plans for the future?

Okay, I'm just going to say it. I HATE THIS QUESTION. All forms of it. Especially when you have nothing to say and so people assume you're just being secretive. Believe me, I'm not that good at keeping my mouth shut, if something big is going on in my life you're going to hear about it. Sorry, I'm done ranting now (...well, for the moment at least). But now that I've spent two days telling you what has been going on, the logical next step would be to tell you what my future plans are...and I would LOVE to tell you...if I had any clue whatsoever...


I feel like I've been up against a brick wall for quite a while now. I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing or what direction I'm supposed to be taking my life. I'm not sure if feeling restless is God's way of prompting me to move on in life or if He's just trying to teach me contentment. I've been feeling the absence of God's leading in my life - not the absence of God, I've very much felt Him lately. He just seems to be awfully silent. 


As I've spent the last couple days reviewing my summer I got to thinking, what was the point? Summer was fun and all, but I'm still here, in the same spot, facing the same brick wall, and I can't see a way around or through it. 


The other day I saw some kids out in front of their house making chalk drawings on the sidewalk. Maybe that's what my summer has been. Maybe I've spent the last two months with chalk in my hands decorating my brick wall. Has it changed the fact that the brick wall is there? No, but maybe I just needed to step back and get a new perspective, maybe add a little color to something that seems overwhelmingly huge and solid. The brick wall is still there but maybe it's a little more fun to look at and it doesn't seem so intimidating. The brick wall hasn't changed but maybe my perspective has and maybe now I'll be able to see my way around it.


(Or maybe I'm just losing my mind...that's always a possibility...)

No comments:

Post a Comment